Friday, June 8, 2018

A New Home

Last fall I set out to begin the process of finding a house to buy.  This was a very new undertaking for me! There were (and still are) some aspects of it that I'd gladly hand over to someone else.  I anticipated looking for a little while before finding the right thing hoping I could move in after school was over in the spring.  No! The right house showed up in October.  By December the paperwork was completed (more paperwork than I care to think about) and it was mine.
The next month of cleaning, painting, getting the furnace working, buying furniture, and packing was just crazy.  It was bitterly cold and I was worried about the pipes freezing. The first neighbors we met...
One of the cats actually got into the house through the basement and scared me silly one day. 

God sent a perfectly timed snow day on the week of moving day.  That allowed me to work at packing and, when the roads cleared up by lunch, move boxes down as well.  God also sent an intern to my classroom that month.  I was able to take a day off without needing to make sub plans.
Moving day was a mild 50 degrees and sunny.  The snow had mostly melted.  What a relief!
Adjusting to a new house and learning all the ropes of owning a house has been quite an adjustment from evicting squirrels to organizing without closets.
Can you spot the squirrel?

I love living in town.  We have lovely neighbors that we finally met when it warmed up outside.  We had one last storm in which I was disappointed to discover that every business within walking distance closes for snow.  It was still a relief to be only one block off main street.
At last spring arrived! New surprises appeared every week.  Some of them, like the hugely overgrown lilacs, were cut down ASAP.  Others were a welcome addition.



And then school left out for the summer. Our small group helped us clean up the backyard and I was able to plant my garden and clean out the flower beds.  There is much to be done yet, but the summer is still ahead!




No comments:

Post a Comment