Sunday, September 21, 2014

First Grade Drawings

And they're reading...
 It's been seven school days since we started putting sounds together and making words.  They did learn how to sound out simple words in Kindergarten, so for some students we are still doing review.  Others have forgotten.  Even though I know the process of teaching a child to read, it is still partly a mystery how this really unfolds.  I'm glad the first month is behind us.  We had a good beginning, but I'm ready to move past this in-between stage.  It's such a relief when they can read well enough to reread the directions and figure things out themselves a bit more.
Most worksheets that my students are doing right now require a little reading but if the child is very observant, they could do much of the paper without reading at all. My students have one set of worksheets that always make me smile.  This set of papers must be read.  The word is given and they need to draw the picture for the word.  My smiles come from the pictures.  Here are a few of the pictures.
 rip Note the hole in the shirt.

 rat.  The artist was a bit unsure about the feet.  I had to hurry them along so the paper would get finished.
 rug.  I like the detail.
 man  Yes, don't forget the beard...  and ears.
men  Interesting perspective.

I like these worksheets.  Some students don't like them at all but there are always a few that excel in artwork and love these pages.  And it's fun to see their creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment